Monday, August 23, 2004

the waves

One of the most beautiful sights to me is the merging of waves in the middle of a steam. The first time I saw it I was as a girl canoeing on Ceascer Creek with my dad, brother, and uncle. There you are in the middle of the stream and the current runs out to meet you and it pushes you forward as it pionts you on your way. I always found that shooting the V or heading towards the part where the two sides meet is the safest path. It always helps to have someone who can steer in the back.
As I returned to St Louis last sunday I felt the same peace and excitment. A week ago I took Jackson to see his great-grandmother, Odella Kerns. Emotions started to overwhelm me as we turned into her driveway where she sat waiting for us. She probably had been waiting there on her lawn chair all morning. By my standard we were right on time, but by hers we were probably a few years late. But we made it. Grandma greeted Jackson as I lifted him from the car with excitment. We sat down inside and I placed him in her capable but aging arms. Jackson decided that it was a very good time to pack his pants so full that it came out on every side onto Grandma's white pants and white rug we were sitting on. It might be a problem in most housholds of America to have dirty white pants but not at 2504 Hooverside Ln. Grandma can do a load of laundry faster than it takes me to take a shower, and the laundry will probably come out cleaner and better smelling. After everyone was clean again we just sat around the rest of the day until I started dragging out old pictures. Grandma really got into it looking at them even more than I did and explained alot of them while Jackson fell asleep in front of us on the floor. I am once again confronted with the thought that he will not be able to experience visits to Grandma and Grandpa's the way I did. On one hand this makes me sad and on the other I can't wait for him to form the memories of smells, feelings, and sights of his own grandma and grandpa. He is in the safest place for him right now. Both sides of the stream converge sending him forward.

No comments: